Latest news from IMO / MEPC 75
The 75th meeting in the IMO committee on environmental regulations takes place from 30rd March to 3rd April 2020. A summary of the meeting will be given together with more detailed reporting on some of the most important issues.
- 16:30 – 16:35 Introduction and welcome by Anders Viborg Kristensen, Danish Maritime Authority
- 16:35 – 17:00 Outcome of ISWG-GHG 7 and MEPC 75 by Stine Olsen, Danish Maritime Authority and Palle Kristensen, Danish Maritime Authority.
In November 2020, the MEPC approved a set of new amendments to MARPOL Annex VI. The amendments will introduce new regulatory mechanisms with effect from 2023, including an Energy Efficiency Design Index for existing ships (EEXI), a Carbon Intensity Indicator (CII) and a rating mechanisms for all ships. The presentation will give an overview of the content in the new amendments. The presentation will also focus on the expectations for ISWG-GHG 8 and MEPC 76, including the preparatory work towards these meetings in relation to the development of supporting guidelines and the comprehensive impact assessment.
- 17:00 – 17:30 Outcome of ISWG-GHG 7 and MEPC 75/7 (GHG) – engine designers perspective by Dorte Kubel, Regulatory Affairs Manager, MAN Energy Solutions
- 17:30 – 18:00 Paradoxies of EEXI and EEDI for Ro Ro ships by Lina Barsøe Christensen, Performance Manager, DFDS A/S.
The upcoming EEXI-regulations will make all shipowners consider the technical efficiency of their existing fleet and how to potentially improve this. The EEXI is not without controversy – for some Ro-Ro/Ro-Pax vessels a power reduction may lead to an increase in the EEXI-value as a consequence of the definition of EEXI/EEDI for Ro-Ro and Ro-Pax vessels. This is both counter-intuitive and obviously not the intention. The presentation will focus on the examples of challenges and paradoxes related to complying with EEXI from the perspective of a Ro-Ro/Ro-Pax operator.
- 18.00 – 18.30 Questions and answers
Read more by following the registration link below.